Check out this powerful poster that contrasts sad “massage/escort” ads with the harsh facts of prostitution! Chances are ads just like these are in the back pages of YOUR daily or weekly local newspaper. So we ask you to take a stand and speak up!
JUST SAY NO TO PROSTITUTION AND SEXUAL EXPLOITATION AND THE COMPANIES THAT PROFIT FROM THEM!
POSTER INFO FROM THE NOT FOR SALE PROJECT:
“Valley Advocate: Drop Your Massage & Escort Ads”
This poster was created to put pressure on a local free weekly paper to remove their ‘massage/escort’ ads which are often linked to prostitution and other forms of sexual exploitation. The poster can be utilized to put similar pressure on local papers in other communities.
VALLEY ADVOCATE Stand up for women! Drop your Massage/Escort ads
– The average age of entry into prostitution is 13 years
– Estimates of the prevalence of incest among prostitutes range from 65% to 90%
– At-risk children are approached by pimps and drug dealers within 48 hours of landing on the streets (Minnesota)
– Girls and women in prostitution have a mortality rate 40 times higher than the national aver- age (Canada)
– In one study, 75% of women in escort prostitution had attempted suicide…
– …prostituted women comprised 15% of all completed suicides re- ported by hospitals
– Studies report 68% to 70% of women in prostitution being raped
– 67% of 475 people in prostitution from South Africa, Thailand, Turkey, USA, and Zambia met diagnostic criteria for PTSD…
– …92% stated that they wanted to es- cape prostitution immediately
– Workplace homicide rates for women working in prostitution are 51 times that of the next most dangerous occupation…
– …The average age of death of the women studied was 34
– “I’ve had three broken arms, nose broken twice… I’ve had a fractured skull… cut with a knife, beat with guns, two by fours…”
– The United States is the second highest destination in the world for trafficked women
– “Some people…like the power involved in buying a human being who can be made to do almost anything.”
– “Money displaces the emotions. It frees you from that bond, that responsibility.” (A john)
– “I don’t see a First Amendment issue here. This is strictly an advertising com- pany making money off prostitution.” (Florida)
– “These people are making a very large amount of money by dealing in human trafficking aka slavery.”
– “these supposedly liberal publications can’t have it both ways when defending the rights of society’s underdogs in their editorial”
– 2006: NOW-NYC launches Ending the Business of Human Trafficking in New York City
– – 2007: NOW-NYC convinces New York Magazine to stop accepting sex ads, along with 14 other publications
– 2009: Time for the Valley Advocate and Newspapers of New England to exit the escort business
LEARN MORE. TAKE ACTION.
~ For more great posters about the harms of prostitution, pornography, sex trafficking and more, both by Our Voices Matter and others, check out the Not For Sale Project! All of the posters can be downloaded at no cost and shared freely, so please do so!
ALSO, if any of YOU have an idea for a poster, they are seeking submissions. Check out the info below from their website to learn more! 🙂
NOT FOR SALE MEDIA PROJECT
The Not For Sale Media Project is a mobilization of feminist media makers and grassroots activists that are creatively challenging the mass media’s normalization of prostitution, pornography, and other forms of sexual abuse through the creation and distribution of alternative media. We are creating alternative forms of media that encourage individuals and communities to think more critically about the buying and selling of women’s bodies; the commodification of sex and sexuality; impacts on individuals and groups of people; and alternative visions of sex and sexuality free of power abuse, violence, and hierarchy.
The Not For Sale Media Project is currently embarking on the creation of posters that raise awareness on issues of prostitution, pornography, and trafficking. The posters are 8.5″ x 14″ or 11″ x 17″ in size and are being utilized for public and community education. View some of the posters below. We encourage you to download, print, and circulate them in your own community.
Join our efforts! You do not have to be an artist or graphic designer to take part in the Not For Sale Media Project. The only requirement is that you have a commitment to raising public awareness about the harms of prostitution, pornography, and trafficking. For those interested, design and create a 8.5″X14″ or 11″x17″ poster that educates the public on the realities and harms of prostitution, pornography, and/or trafficking. If you have an idea but don’t know how to turn it into a finished poster, we can help out. Share your posters and ideas with us at email@example.com or via mail at PO Box 674, Northampton, MA 01061, USA.
P.S. Please remember to SAY NO TO THE EXPLOITATION AND DEHUMANIZATION OF PROSTITUTION by LIKING, SHARING and COMMENTING on this post. Thanks! 🙂
Please support the cause by following us here at this blog, liking us at Facebook, subscribing to our YouTube channels, and following our Twitter accounts. Thanks! ~~
FACEBOOK PAGE: AntiPornography.org – Nonreligious, Pro Free Speech, Pro Healthy Sex & Love ~~ http://www.facebook.com/ENDSexploitation ~~
YOUTUBE CHANNELS: AntiPornographyBlog ~~ AntiPornographyOrg ~~ SayNOtoProstitution ~~ ENDSexTrafficDEMAND ~~ PornAddictionHelp ~~ SayNOtoSadomasochism ~~
TWITTER ACCOUNTS: @AntiPornography ~~ @ENDSexTraffic ~~ @ENDProstitution ~~ @NoSadomasochism ~~ @PornAddictHelp1 ~~ @HealthySexNLove ~~
Post created by AntiPornography.org Nonprofit Organization ~ Preventing and combating the devastating harms of pornography, prostitution, sex trafficking and sexual slavery, while supporting safe, healthy, equality-based sex, love, and relationships ~