0. WHAT’S WRONG WITH PORNOGRAPHY?
1. Pornography degrades and dehumanizes women & girls.
(“Sperm Receptacles 4,” “Junkyard Cumholes”)
2. Pornography glamorizes rape & abuse.
3. Pornography harms relationships and marriages by glamorizing infidelity.
4. Pornography lies about women, depicting them all as being sexually insatiable.
7. Pornography encourages child sexualization.
(“Bring ‘Um Young 28,” Barely Legal 90″)
8. Pornography tolerates racism that is not acceptable in other media.
(“My Daughter’s F*cking Blackzilla 17″ “Racial Violations 2.”)
All pornography video titles taken from March 2009 AVN.com top sales and rentals charts.
NOTE: Much more than the above is wrong with pornography. See other FAQs.
1. WHY ARE YOU SPEAKING OUT AGAINST PORNOGRAPHY?
- — Because, as made clear above, pornography degrades women, sex, & all humanity, including boys & men. It frequently glorifies & promotes sadism, masochism, rape, incest, pedophilia, misogyny, (woman hating), and violence against women & girls. It harms relationships, marriages, children and families. It also creates demand for prostitution & international sex trafficking. Furthermore, it is a highly unregulated & abusive industry that frequently exploits vulnerable survivors of childhood sexual abuse. Allowing all of these harms to go unchecked by remaining silent is not an acceptable option.
2. ARE YOU IN FAVOR OF CENSORSHIP OR BANNING OF PORNOGRAPHY?
– — No. Censoring or banning pornography would not address the underlying cause of the problem, which is the demand for pornography that is mostly created by men and boys. If there were no demand there would be no use of pornography, no supply, and therefore the damage that occurs in society as a result of pornography, whether to users or others, or to those involved in the industry itself, would not exist.
3. IF YOU AREN’T TRYING TO BAN OR CENSOR PORN, WHAT SPECIFICALLY ARE YOU TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH WITH ANTI-PORNOGRAPHY ACTIVISM?
A) EDUCATION TO REDUCE DEMAND AND SUPPLY: The goal of the anti-pornography activism at this blog, and the related projects of the AntiPornography YouTube channel and Anti-Porn Blogger MySpace site, is to reduce the demand for pornography and ultimately the supply of it through education of the general public about pornography, and most specifically consumers of pornography & participants.
B) FAIR AND REASONABLE REGULATION: All proposed policy changes outlined in the 2007 peer-reviewed medical journal article “The Adult Film Industry: Time to Regulate?” are supported. If these changes are enacted, the harm done both in the industry to the participants, and to society in general by pornography itself, will be significantly reduced.
Potential Policy Changes:
– National legislation that includes regulation of internet-based adult films
– Mandatory condom use with condom seal of approval
– Film rating system based on set safety criteria
– Licensure of performers
– STD testing paid for by the industry
– Vaccinations against human papillomavirus and hepatitis B and post-exposure prophylaxis paid for by the industry
– Education and training of all workers and employees
– Legal age of performers raised from 18 to 21 years old
– Drug testing of performers
To learn why such policy changes are necessary, please review the article “The Adult Film Industry: Time to Regulate?”
Note: Many people in the adult industry itself support some, most, or all of these changes, such as Jenna Jameson, Bill Margold of the Protect Adult Welfare Foundation, & Sharon Mitchell of The Adult Industry Medical Foundation.
C) INTERNET REGULATION AS PROPOSED BY CP80.ORG:
The proposed plan would divide the Internet into channels, and when a person signs up for Internet service, they could choose to not receive the porn channels if they didn’t want them. Those who wish to receive pornographic content would be allowed to do so, thereby not restricting anyone’s right to create pornography or consume it, but only allow those who don’t wish to have themselves, their families, or their children be exposed to it to have that choice. Full info at their web site: http://www.CP80.org.
4. BUT IF SOMEONE CHOOSES TO DO PORN, IT’S THEIR CHOICE & THEREFORE IT’S FINE & IT’S NOBODY’S BUSINESS.
– — Just because someone makes a choice that doesn’t mean it’s a healthy or good choice for them or for society in general. People frequently choose to use dangerous drugs or to inflict violence on others. That doesn’t mean those choices are positive or ethical ones. If one cares about humanity it is important to speak up in order to encourage people to make healthier choices that will improve their lives & the overall condition of our society.
5. WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE PORNOGRAPHY, PROSTITUTION, OR THE CHOICES OF PEOPLE WHO USE THEM, PARTICIPATE IN THEM, OR SUPPORT THEM?
– — We all have a responsibility as members of society to either be part of the problem or part of the solution, and to make educated & fair judgments about what is right or wrong, and then to act on those judgments. Judgments about what is right or wrong, or good or harmful for society, make up our laws & judicial system. Without such judgments & the enforcement of them, no one would have any secure rights or freedoms, & society would be in a state of chaos.
6. IF YOU DON’T LIKE PORNOGRAPHY, JUST DON’T WATCH IT.
– — That would be irresponsible. Silence in the face of extreme sexism, abuse & dehumanization is complicity, and that’s not an option for anyone with a conscience. Would you suggest the same in the face of other harms? Would you tell someone if they don’t like racism or violence to just look the other way?
7. YOU SHOULDN’T BE FORCING YOUR OPINIONS ON OTHERS. THAT’S FASCISM!
– — Nobody is being “forced” to read or watch anything, & it’s not “fascist” to provide educational information so that individuals can make informed choices about their consumption of pornography or their participation in the sex industry.
8. WHY ARE YOU AGAINST SEX? YOU MUST BE A PRUDE OR SEXUALLY REPRESSED BECAUSE OF RELIGION.
– — This blog and the associated projects of the AntipornographyBlog YouTube channel and the Anti-Porn Blogger MySpace page, are not faith-based, & are NOT against sex, which is something that is beautiful, natural & healthy. What IS being fought against is an abusive & highly unregulated multibillion-dollar industry that deliberately distorts and misrepresents sexuality, manipulates its users, and which profits off of the exploitation & dehumanization of everyone involved, but most particularly young women.
9. WHY DO YOU HAVE THOSE ANNOTATIONS ON YOUR YOUTUBE VIDEOS? CAN’T WE JUST WATCH THE VIDEOS WITHOUT THEM?
– — Posting the videos without the annotations on them would be a copyright violation & would result in their removal. (That is what happened to someone else who posted them previously in their original form.) Permission was granted by the copyright owners to keep those videos on YouTube in their Fair Use-like form WITH the pauses & the annotations that provide commentary, criticism, & response. So they must remain.
10. YOU’RE BIASED. TO BE FAIR YOU SHOULD PRESENT BOTH SIDES OF THE ARGUMENT.
– — Being biased against an exploitative & sexist industry is something to be proud of, and there is no need to present the other side. If a person was fighting against racism, would you accuse them of being “biased”, and insist that they present the views of racists as well so that they aren’t being so “one-sided”? Of course not. However, it’s easy to find out the views of people who are in favor of pornography and prostitution, etc., as the Internet is saturated with porn & web sites that vigorously promote, defend, & support all aspects of the multi-billion-dollar global sex industry.
11. WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS WORK?
– — Because…
a) It’s the right thing to do.
b) Silence is complicity, and that’s not an option for anyone with a conscience.
c) “The only thing that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.” — Attributed to Edmund Burke.
d) “You must be the change that you wish to see in the world.” — Gandhi.
Lastly… it was once stated bluntly at the porn site ‘gag factor (dot) com’, that “Porn destroys women. That’s why we love it.” They are quite correct, pornography does destroy women — both those in the industry and those outside of it. It also destroys girls, boys, and all men globally, and thus all humanity. It is a multi-billion-dollar industry in which girls and women are commonly referred to as “bitches”, “sluts”, and “whores”, and that sells products that promote the degradation of women as well as cruelty and abuse. (Examples include video titles such as: “Cum Face F**k Dolls”, “Use ‘Em, Abuse ‘Em, and Lose ‘Em 19″, and “Human Toilet Bowls 3.” Note: All titles taken from Oct. 2008 AVN.com charts of best selling, most rented, or most downloaded porn titles.)
So…we can all either just sit back and let pornographers continue to wreak havoc on the human race by allowing them to continue to spread misogyny, destroy human compassion and empathy, harm innocent children, devastate relationships, marriages and families, and to fuel international sex trafficking & sexual slavery, (and let them continue to “love” doing so), or we can choose to do something about it. This blog, the AntiPornographyBlog YouTube channel, and the AntiPornBlogger MySpace site, represent the choice to be part of the solution rather than remain silent and thus be part of the problem.
“Never believe that a few caring people can’t change the world. For, indeed, that’s all who ever have.”
– Margaret Mead
Note: If your question is not answered above, please review the rest of the information at this blog, my MySpace page, and my YouTube channel, including all of the information in the description areas of the playlists. Many other FAQs will be answered by doing so, including what’s wrong with gay and lesbian pornography, sadomasochism, etc. Please do not post comments here or at YouTube, or send e-mails via YouTube or MySpace, without first doing this. Thank you! :-)
Please also note that this FAQ is a work in progress and will be added to and revised as necessary and as time allows.
%d bloggers like this: